It’s just 29 days until Rare Diseases Day 2017! Rare Diseases Day is always on the last day of February, which this year is the 28th.
Here at Haemophilia Scotland we are great supporters of Rare Diseases Day. A disease is considered rare when it effects less than 1 in 2,000 people. That means even the most common bleeding disorders, such as Haemophilia A or B and von Willebrand’s Disease, are rare diseases. Many of the inherited bleeding disorders are ultra rare and effect very few people in Scotland.
Rare Diseases Day gives us all a chance to come together with people affected by other conditions to point out that 1 in 17 people has a rare disease or condition at some point in their life. So, when we you look at the big picture, having a rare disease isn’t that unusual at all.
One great way you can use Rare Diseases Day 2017 is to take part in the Rare Diseases UK Instagram 28 day photo challenge!
How to get involved
- Follow @rarediseaseuk on Instagram.
- Take a photo every day from 1-28 February based on the themes provided below. Alternatively you can just get involved on the days that suit you!
- Post your photo to Instagram, using the hashtag #RareDiseaseDay.
- Tag @rarediseaseuk in your post so we can re-post photos.
- Keep an eye on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages to see what other people are posting.
If you can’t manage every day, feel free to participate on the days that most appeal to you. there will be prizes for the best photos and most committed participants so good luck!
Help get #RareDiseaseDay trending and start a conversation about rare diseases!