Raising the money we need to provide our information, support, and advocacy services is a constant challenge.
We make every effort to treat our donors, potential donors, and fundraising volunteers with respect. However, it is important for there to be a proper procedure for complaints if we fall below the standards we set for ourselves and our members expect.
Since July 2016, Scottish charities have committed to self-regulating their fundraising activities in Scotland with a new, more rigorous, system of self-regulation that everyone can trust and understand.
The Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) will have an enhanced role in the new system whose aim is:
Command confidence in charity fundraising; inspire public trust; and promote good fundraising.
The key elements of this approach are:
- An independent panel to manage fundraising complaints that cannot be resolved between the charity and the person who is complaining
- A new fundraising guarantee that sets out values and high standards Scottish charities should practice in their fundraising
- A simple three stage process to manage fundraising complaints:
- Stage 1 – Complain to the charity direct
- Stage 2 – Appeal to the charity trustees
- Stage 3 – Refer to the Independent Panel
Going through these steps with Haemophilia Scotland is simple.
You can raise a complaint by email or by calling our CEO on 0131 524 7286. We will make every effort to resolve your complaint at this stage. However, if your complaint relates to actions of the CEO, or remains unresolved at this stage, you should move to Stage 2.
You have the right to refer your complain to the Board of Trustees who will consider it at their next meeting and report back to you. You can do this by phone by simply requesting the complaint is referred to the board. Alternatively you can email or write to us at Haemophilia Scotland, 4th Floor, Hayweight House, 23 Lauriston Street, Edinburgh. EH3 9DW marked ‘For the Attention of the Chair‘.
If you’re not satisfied with the way we have dealt with your concerns, you can refer your complaint to the Independent Panel.
The new Independent Standards and Adjudications Panel was launched in December 2016 and is responsible for:
- Fundraising Standards in Scotland and;
- The handling of fundraising complaints relating to Scottish registered charities
Before you can take your fundraising complaint to the Panel you should make sure you have given us sufficient opportunity to respond.
If you need any further help finding the right place to raise your complaint about charity fundraising in Scotland you can visit the Scottish Fundraising Complaints website, call them on 0808-1642520 or complete this online form.