Finding a local dentist

All dental practices have guidance to follow when treating someone with a bleeding disorder and for those with less severe bleeding, most procedures can be carried out in a dentist’s surgery. If you are not already registered with a dentist, it’s easy to find one that is convenient for you to visit. You can find a dental surgery here.

If you need dental treatment in an emergency and you don’t have a dentist, find one by calling NHS 111. Don’t contact your GP, as they will not be able to offer emergency or out-of-hours dental care. Contact your haemophilia centre for further advice if necessary.

When looking for a dentist, contact the dental surgeries that are convenient to you directly to find out if they are accepting new patients and if so, register with the surgery. It’s important to remember not all dental practices provide NHS dental care, so make certain to ask if you are unsure.

You may need help accessing primary dental care due to the lack of understanding by the dentist of your bleeding disorder. Some local dentists may refuse to undertake major dental work because of your bleeding disorder. If this is the case for you, your haemophilia centre may have access to a dentist on site or be able to give you details of local dentists who specialise in treating patients with bleeding disorders. Do ask your haemophilia centre for advice.

We advise seeing your dentist at least twice a year to help prevent dental problems.

Back to Dental Care for Adults with a Bleeding Disorder